As one of Calgary’s premier roofing companies for over 30 years we’ve seen in all. It’s really unfortunate that there are unethical companies out there, especially when it comes to your roof, it can be just a nightmare.
At Whalley’s we really pride ourselves on phenomenal customer service and helping out our clients, with that in mind here are some good tips to know.
- Price – The price may be too good to be true. Often times, fly by night companies will charge a very low price in order to get the work. They can do this because they probably do not carry liability insurance, WCB coverage, or even have a GST number and pay taxes. A lot of times, fly by night companies will also skimp on workmanship and materials. For peace of mind, it is a good idea to confirm with the contractor that the cost includes taxes, removal of the old roof, if a deposit is required, and if there are any hidden costs such as an extra charge for rotted wood replacement. A reputable, professional roofing company will not ask for any payment up front and will provide you with a written, thorough estimate.
- Insurance – This is very important. Many fly by night companies do not carry liability insurance. If the contractor you hire does not have liability insurance and damages your property or roof, you, the homeowner, will be left to cover the cost of the repairs. A reputable, professional roofing company will carry liability insurance to protect themselves and their clients. If damage occurs to your roof or property, it will be covered under the roofing contractor’s policy. For peace of mind, be sure to confirm the insurance coverage of any contractor doing work on your home.
- Warranty – This is also important. A lot of fly by night companies will not offer a warranty on their workmanship. The warranty is your coverage against workmanship or installation errors. Chances are if you hire a fly by night company, you will not be able to find them is something goes wrong anyway. For peace of mind, you will want to hire a reputable, professional roofing company that has the intent and ability to stand behind their warranty. Be sure to find out all the details of what the workmanship warranty covers.
- BBB – Many times, fly by night companies will not be a member of the Better Business Bureau. They do not want to pay the fee or see complaints that may exist against their company. To be an accredited member, you have to pay a fee each year and be in good standings. As a homeowner, you can research roofing contractors on the BBB website to see which companies have an A+ rating and which companies have complaints against them.
- WCB – This is extremely important. Most fly by night companies will not have WCB coverage because it can be quite costly. If a contractor hurts himself on your property and does not have WCB coverage, you, as the homeowner, can be sued. For your protection and peace of mind make sure the roofing contractor you hire has WCB coverage.
- References – Fly by night companies may not be able to provide references. They may have a bad reputation and do not want you to find out. Getting 3 references is a good idea so you can find out first hand what kind of company you are dealing with. Reputable, professional roofing companies will provide the addresses and phone numbers of previous clients for you to contact.
- Experience – A lot of fly by night companies do not have the experience and knowledge, you, as the homeowner, deserve. In Alberta, roofing is not a licensed industry so anyone can put on a tool belt and call himself a roofer. As a homeowner, you will want to hire a long-standing established roofing company that has extensive experience and knowledge in the roofing industry.
- Clean Up – Many fly by night companies do not pride themselves in the care of your property. You do not want to hire a company that leaves a mess and does not respect your property. Once the job is completed, you should not even know they have been there. Reputable, professional roofing companies will do a great job of clean up. After all, they want your referral.
- Customer Service – Fly by night companies do not pride themselves in customer service. They just want to get the job and don’t care how they get it. From your first interaction on the phone or website, to the completion of the work, customer service is very important. A reputable, professional roofing company will provide an open and honest line of communication. They will be polite, confident, and knowledgeable, listen to your concerns, and represent their company well.
- Cash – Many fly by night companies will request cash for payment. This is a huge red flag. These companies do not wish to leave a paper trail and do not wish to be found should something go wrong with your roof. Be sure you do not give any cash deposit and always get a receipt for any work completed on your home. A reputable, professional roofing company will not ask for a deposit and will provide a written estimate and written invoice on services provided.
To get a quick, free, no obligation information call, dial (403) 288-8819 now.